Tuesday 24 May 2016

Hammanskraal residents rebuild after day of violence

Hammanskraal residents are refusing to move from the land, saying government promised it to them many years ago. Photo: eNCA / Lirandzu Themba
HAMMANSKRAAL - Angry residents in Hammanskraal, north of Pretoria, are rebuilding their demolished shacks.
Violence erupted on Monday following attempts to remove thousands of residents from the land they currently occupy.
Two people have been killed and several others injured.
Five people were arrested in connection with attacks.
Residents are refusing to move from the land, saying government promised it to them many years ago. 
Gauteng officials have condemned the violence in the area.
The demolition process has stopped and police are investigating the two deaths.
Meanwhile, a radio journalist claims he was threatened with a firearm in Hammanskraal this morning.
Moloko Moloto says he was taking a picture when two men accosted him, and took his equipment.
"I arrived there to find a group of journalists doing their jobs. The first thing they did was brief me not to take pictures of people and also don’t interview them on record," said Moloto.
"Everybody was happy until I attempted to take a picture of a car on the road. That is when two guys were very angry... one of them pointed a gun at me, insulting me.
"The other one pushed me and confiscated my equipment. Luckily some of the locals who I spent time with came to my rescue."

No comments:

Post a Comment